Computer graphics and interactive media
Bachelor of fine arts
Master of fine arts
Computer Graphics and Interactive Media is defined as:
Computer Graphics & Interactive Media emphasizes the user’s creativity, rather than the capability of the Computer. The Program challenges Students to apply their creativity and imagination to the latest digital tools and techniques, while the curriculum is devoted to teaching the Practice and Theory that emerge from the convergence of the new media technology. It prepares students for positions in the Art and Design Disciplines that currently employ this technology: Interactive Media, Interface Design, Computer Animation, Imaging, and Fine Arts
The program in Computer Graphics and Interactive Media is devoted to preparing artists and designers for the many specialized roles employed in today's computer animation and interactive media industries.
The rapidly expanding online marketplace and the proliferation of digital delivery devices have greatly increased the need for talented, well-educated professionals.
Department of Computer Graphics and Interactive Media Educational Objectives:
Students graduating from the program in Computer Animation and Interactive Media are prepared to enter the fields of Animation Production, Postproduction, Motion Graphics and Interactive Media Production. Specific outcomes will vary depending on individual interests and on the area of emphasis in thesis preparation.
All students should have a working knowledge of the principles of animation, the mechanics of 3d modeling, rigging, lighting and animation, 2d motion graphics and compositing.
Preparation of media for broadcast, website design and development are all learning outcomes that our students should demonstrate by the time they graduate from the program.
BFA Computer Graphics and Interactive Media
- - The program enables a student to master the steep learning curve of animation and interactive media skills, within the context of cultivating an understanding and appreciation of a number of disciplines, while exploring their interrelation and historical roots.
- - Strong analytical skills are enhanced by exposure to a diversity of creative ideas and methodologies presented by professionally active and diverse faculty as well as by visiting lecturers to ALBA through the program.
- - Digital imaging, 3D animation and interactivity are so embedded in our culture that its meaning is constantly changing and has to be approached in new ways in order to be both creative and competitive. The program is designed to enable students to become more visually-literate in a changing technological culture.
MFA Computer Graphics and Interactive Media
- - Students should demonstrate the ability to produce animation and interactive projects at a professional level from concept to finished project.
- - Students should demonstrate proficiency and competency in advanced 3D modeling and animation software (specifically modeling, rigging, lighting, texturing and animation.).
- - Students should be competent in the use of software packages that are used in the industry, as well as have the ability to translate their artistic skills into any new software they encounter.
- - Students should develop the necessary skills working within a team environment, to create, plan and execute both original stories through the art of animation, and good interactive experiences for the user.
- - Students will have a foundation in the history of animation that empowers graduates to make the best moving images work in consonance with the best sound, color, perspective, and storytelling.
- - Students will be able to integrate music and sound design into an established graphical context.
- - Students should have a thorough exploration of video as a medium of communication and as content for interactive, digital media.
- - Students should have the knowledge base to design and manage interactive projects such as web sites, and CD-ROM and DVD based projects using current state-of-the art software and programming languages.
The MFA program is fluid, embracing emerging technologies and experimentation. It is project and concept centered and depends on the exchange of experience, knowledge and curiosities of a community of students and faculty.
The changing landscape of people’s everyday interactions has blurred the lines between respected design fields giving designers new responsibilities to shape experiences. Designers must increase their knowledge in all areas of design, including print media, human-computer interaction design, motion graphics, and 3D digital graphics .
The cross-disciplinary nature of this program offers a greater potential to foster innovation and creativity in visual communication design. The program reflects the current views and changes occurring in the professional design field. The skill sets required of graphic, interactive, and digital design have now crossed over and are interrelated
The objective of the Computer Graphics and Interactive Media graduate program is to transform students into creative leaders and visionaries.
The program provides instruction in digital tools, concept development, research, critical thinking, aesthetics and user experience.
Students apply these skills to design innovative interactive designs for mobile and web.
The program culminates in a Senior Study Project that demonstrates critical thinking and design skills, clear delivery to a target audience, innovative access of information and creative use of interactivity. Students will enter the field well equipped with a portfolio that meets the demands of the industry.
MFA graduates in Computer Graphics and Interactive Media will meet the following student performance criteria:
- - MFA Thesis Project
- • Present a clearly defined design project worthy of the MFA degree
- • Provide proof of concept demonstrating the feasibility of the project
- • Produce a final thesis project demonstrating design thinking, and visual communication and technical skills
- - Design Thinking
- • Conduct appropriate market research and apply findings to design decisions
- • Demonstrate knowledge of thesis topic and identify resources for content development
- • Identify appropriate platform(s) and adapt designs accordingly
- - Visual Communication
- • Effectively utilize grid, hierarchy, typography, color, and composition
- • Demonstrate interactive design principles as appropriate to the project
- - Technical Abilities
- • Demonstrate an understanding of the technical skills necessary to execute the thesis project.
- - User Experience
- • Clearly define the target audience demonstrating a consideration of both primary and secondary users
- • Develop final testing plan based on initial explorations
- • Apply testing results to refine project throughout the design process.
- - Professional Readiness
- • Effectively articulate and defend ideas and processes
- • Demonstrate organizational skills in the thesis proposal and record of thesis project development process
- • Develop and demonstrate the skills required for the chosen professional path, as demonstrated in the thesis project, portfolio and personal website