Athletic Scholarships Policy
The University of Balamand (UOB) offers Athletic Scholarships for student athletes who are eligible to be Varsity Team members. The main objective of the Athletic Scholarship program is to provide talented students who play sports the opportunity to study at UOB and compete in university sports.
Scholarships are awarded to Undergraduate Students Only if:
- Enrolled as regular full-time students with a minimum of 12 credits. Exceptions are made for graduating students who did not fulfill their academic requirement.
- Applied for Financial Aid and are in a clear academic standing with a semester average above 75.
- Students are players or potential players of UOB Varsity Teams for the same academic year.
- Committed to the Varsity Teams (lack of attendance will lead to cancelling the scholarship).
- Students read, understood and accepted to comply with the policies and procedures listed in the “Student Athlete Handbook” .
Students should submit the following documents to the Office of Athletics, Wellness, and Recreation:
In order to maintain
- An application form for the Athletic Scholarship program.
- Letter from the Club stating that the Student Athlete plays for the club; noting the level of the Club and the level of the player.
- Identification Card (original) from the Sports Federation/Club (if available).
- Medical reports for any health problem signed by a physician and UOB infirmary.
- Resume of his/her Sports career (Profile – Video Tape – Achievements).
- Letter of recommendation from UOB varsity coach or the Office of Athletics, Wellness and Recreation.
the Athletic Scholarship, Student Athletes should:
In case of injuries,
- - Maintain a good academic standing with a cumulative average above 75.
- - Maintain a good disciplinary record with the coach, teammates, referees and Athletics Department staff.
- - Attend team trainings, friendly games and official games.
- - Participate in International Tournaments as specified in the “Student Athlete Handbook”.
- - Assist and participate in activities organized by the Office of Athletics, Wellness and Recreation (social, cultural, workshops, lectures, seminars, etc.).
- - Give the University the right to use his/her image (Photos, Videos…) for advertising and promotion purposes.
- - Be willing to sit for a medical screening, and an Anti-doping test once requested by the Office of Athletics, Wellness and Recreation without prior notice.
following procedures apply:
CONFLICT OF INTEREST
- - The Athletic Scholarship will remain active for an academic year as long as the student fulfills the following responsibilities:
- • Provide a detailed medical report to the Office of Athletics, Wellness, and Recreation signed by a physician and UOB infirmary.
- • Consult and follow up with the Assigned Physiotherapist on a weekly basis. The Physiotherapist will submit his recommendations to the Office of Athletics, Wellness and Recreation.
- • Attend the training sessions and games of the Varsity Team.
- • Maintain an academic average as indicated above.
- - If a Student Athlete is injured during a personal event, the scholarship will remain active for the semester that the Student Athlete is enrolled in as long as he/she fulfills the responsibilities listed in the previous section (above).
Recipients of Athletic Scholarship, should give priority for trainings and games of the University of Balamand. However, the Student Athlete can request permission for absence in the following cases:
- If the Student Athlete has an exam scheduled during the same date and time (priority is given to academics).
- If the Student Athlete is on a National team and is participating in a game or training camp (local or international), then it is recommended that absences from trainings should be based on an official request from the Lebanese Sports Federation. The Student Athlete should present an official “Permission for Absence Form” with supporting documents to the Office of Athletics, Wellness, and Recreation at least 72 hours in advance.
- If the Student Athlete is a first or second division club player and is participating with his/her club, in a game, and conflict occurs in trainings, the Student Athlete can attend the training of his/her club as long as the absences from the trainings of the Varsity Team per semester do not exceed 1/6 of the total number of training hours for First Division players and 1/3 of the total number of training hours for Second Division players. The Student Athlete should present an official “Permission for Absence Form” with supporting documents to the Senior Director of Athletics, Wellness and Recreation at least 72 hours in advance.
The Selection committee for the Athletic scholarship determines the amount of needed scholarships per year according to an approved budget by the University Administration. It is also important to mention that failed and repeated courses during the semester are not covered by the scholarship. Dependents of current Faculty and Staff are not entitled for this scholarship.