Message from the Dean
On behalf of the Faculty of Business and Management at the University of Balamand,
I would like to extend a warm welcome to you. In my message below, I will first
give you a preview of our degree offerings and the reasons why it may be worthwhile
to pursue an education in business and management. Then, I will define the salient
features of our culture and environment. Next, I will emphasize the leading factors
that make our teaching and learning so distinctive. Thereafter, I will tell you
about our future initiatives for continuous improvement. Finally, I will highlight
our unique value proposition.
What are our Degree Offerings and Potential Careers’ Attractiveness?
Our faculty is home to a host of relevant undergraduate and graduate degree curricula
that are in-tune with a constantly evolving marketplace. At the undergraduate level,
we offer a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA), another BBA for Tourism and
Hotel management (BBA-THM), and a Bachelor of Science (BS) in Economics. At the
graduate level, we offer a Master of Business Administration (MBA), an Executive
Master of Business Administration (EMBA), a Master of Science in Accounting and
Finance (MSAF), and a Master of Science in Human Resource Management (MHRM).
A degree in business and management is particularly attractive because it is versatile, flexible and diversified.
• Versatility: It provides an assortment of highly relevant functional expertise in finance, accounting, economics, management, marketing, human resource, and entrepreneurship (just to mention a few). Such generic skills will always be in high demand in organizations of different sizes and vocations, including for-profit corporations, not-for-profit organizations, government agencies, non-governmental agencies, and so on. As an added bonus, it equips you with the expertise to be an entrepreneur, to create your own firm, or to join a family business.
• Flexibility: It offers the possibility to work in the different sectors of the economy. You could pick and choose the specific industry that peaks your own interest from a long list of alternatives. For instance, you could work for commercial banks, investment banks, insurance firms, consulting firms, manufacturing firms, technology firms, retail stores, entertainment firms, sports teams, fashion firms, cosmetic firms, real-estate agencies, construction firms, hospitals, restaurants, and educational institutions (just to mention a few).
• Diversity: Since the degree spans across multiple sectors of the economy, you could easily make a leap from one industry to the next (for example, from the construction industry to the financial service industry). It is therefore less vulnerable to economic downturns than other professional disciplines that are intimately linked to specific sectors of the economy.
In a nutshell, a degree in business and management offers highly pertinent generic skills that could be leveraged across multiple sectors of the economy. Consequently, it uniquely positions you on an exciting career growth path where the sky is the limit.
What are the Salient Features of our Culture and Environment?
1. Noble guiding principles: We are inspired by the noble guiding principles set forth by our founding fathers (the Antiochian Christian Orthodox Church). We uphold the utmost standards of humanity and humility. Accordingly, our core values are moral integrity, cultural sensitivity, institutional collegiality, and social responsibility. In the same vein, we promote diversities in all its forms, including religious, ethnic, gender, and social diversities.
2. Exceptional people: Our campuses are populated by exceptional people interacting in the context of a stimulating multicultural environment. It is a great place to mingle and learn, to join clubs and societies, to indulge in extra-curricular activities, to have a memorable experience, and to make long-lasting friendships.
3. A stimulating learning environment: Our strategically located and beautiful central campus sits on top of a green hill overlooking the Mediterranean Sea on the west and Mount Lebanon on the east.
4. Great resources: We provide spacious facilities, state-of-the-art technologies, interactive classrooms, enticing athletic facilities, and a well-endowed library system with access to rich databases, online journals and other relevant information services.
What are the Leading Factors that Make our Teaching and Learning so Distinguished?
1. Knowledgeable faculty: Our eminently knowledgeable faculty is built on a proud tradition of quality education, innovative research and professional engagement.
2. Students’ centeredness: Our dedicated and vibrant faculty members deeply care about the students. They teach with passion and they actively engage the students in the learning process by intertwining theoretical concepts and professional pragmatism.
3. A transformational experience: We shape the minds of our students by targeting learning goals at the cognitive, affective and practical domains. We don’t only emphasize functional and technical skills. We also promote communication, strategic, conceptual, and interpersonal skills.
4. Global leadership emphasis: If you yearn for a meaningful leadership career on a global basis, then this is the right place for you. You will be conditioned to maneuver seamlessly and elegantly in an increasingly complex and dynamic multi-cultural environment.
What are our Future Initiatives for Continuous Improvement?
1. Dynamic curriculum: We commit to provide the students with a dynamic curriculum by staying in tune with a marketplace that is in a constant state of flux and mutation.
2. Superior pedagogy: We commit to superior pedagogy by formulating well-thought-out learning goals, engaging in superior teaching, monitoring learning outcomes, and taking remedial actions to fill learning gaps in a timely manner.
3. Robust scholarly contributions: We commit to generate robust scholarly contributions that are original and relevant by promoting intellectual inquiry, teamwork, mentoring, and collaboration across boundaries.
4. Intimate stakeholders’ engagement: We commit to maintain intimate engagements with our stakeholders (alumni, businesses, policy makers, and peer educational institutions) by organizing impactful conferences, inviting distinguished guest lecturers, providing internship placements, and initiating projects that benefit the economy, the society and the environment.
What is our Unique Value Proposition?
The Faculty of Business and Management at the University of Balamand is a great place to jumpstart your career at the local, regional and international level. You will undoubtedly experience a radical transformational journey of self-discovery. You will grow in terms of professional and personal maturities. You will have a well-rounded personality and you will cultivate meaningful relationships. In a nutshell, our value proposition could be summed up as follows: You will receive an excellent return on your educational investment.
We are steadfast in our commitments to become the Faculty of choice in Lebanon and beyond. We look forward to telling you: “Welcome to our wonderful Faculty. You could consider it your home not only during the course of your studies, but also during your lifetime”. Best of luck in your future endeavors.
Karim S. Rebeiz