The Faculty of Health Sciences offers a variety of academic programs in the Health Sciences. Curricula are community-oriented and multidisciplinary, to equip graduates with the professional literacy, competencies, teamwork, and skills needed to meet challenges in the dynamic work environment of today's health sector.
Undergraduate degree programs lead to a Bachelor of Science degree within a minimum of a three-year framework. Graduate degree programs lead to a Master of Science degree or a Master of Public Health degree.
BS in Clinical Laboratory Sciences
The Department of Medical Laboratory Sciences at the Faculty of Health Sciences offers a three-year undergraduate program that leads to a Bachelor of Science. The multidisciplinary nature of the program allows students to cover a broad range of subjects, whilst gaining both theoretical knowledge in the classroom and practical hands-on experience in the laboratory in a wide variety of laboratory techniques.
Students are exposed to a multiphase curriculum that provides knowledge in basic sciences, clinical pathology, Infectious Disease, haematology, clinical chemistry, humanities, management, principles of research, and epidemiology and biostatistics. In addition to laboratory training, students are trained to analyse laboratory test results as an essential step in the process of diagnosis and patient care.
The Program is available at the Main Campus (Al Kurah), Dekwaneh Campus (Beirut), and Souk El Gharb Campus (Aley), where students conduct their training in collaboration with hospitals located in the different regions of Lebanon.
THE DEGREES WE OFFER
UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAM MISSION
The mission of the program is to improve the health of the community by educating students to become resourceful, multidisciplinary, competent, and ethical individuals in the field of medical laboratory sciences. The program is committed to educational excellence by providing students with the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to fulfill current and future professional roles and leadership positions as members of the healthcare team. Students are prepared to pursue advanced studies and careers in the academia and different industries. In addition, the program is dedicated to expanding knowledge and improving scientific thinking through research and investigation.
UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAM LEARNING OBJECTIVES
The BS in Medical Laboratory Sciences will meet the following objectives to accomplish its mission:
- Give students an in-depth theoretical understanding of different subjects in Clinical Laboratory Sciences.
- Provide hands-on laboratory experiences with the opportunity to explore conventional and new methods in the field of Medical Laboratory Sciences.
- Provide students with experiential learning in the different laboratory medicine department sections.
- Educate students to develop professional conduct and develop the highest standards of ethics.
- Assist students in developing problem-solving abilities and research skills.
UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAM LEARNING OUTCOMES
Upon graduation, graduates will be able to:
- Perform accurate and specialized routine tests on human and non-human samples.
- Analyse and interpret medical laboratory data.
- Apply safe laboratory practices by adhering to all safety rules and regulations.
- Meet the requirements necessary to pass the Lebanese Medical Laboratory Colloquium.
- Demonstrate awareness of students’ responsibility to the profession and to the community.
- Demonstrate an appropriate professional attitude when interacting with patients, peers, and healthcare professionals.
- Follow ethical guidelines in their practice.
- Develop into independent learners and critical thinkers.
- Work in a competitive environment.
The internship is a professional training and experience in an actual laboratory setting. It is an essential course in the degree that aims to extend and widen the scope of knowledge and operational/adaptive skills of students by exposing them to “real-time” situations and challenges within the context of organizations/entities involved with addressing needs related to laboratories and the management.
The Professional Internship allows students to:
- Experience real-time operational settings, function as a member of a team and appreciate dynamics within the context of their host organization.
- Be exposed to tasks and activities performed by practitioners involved in budgeting, finance, human resources, and marketing in laboratory management settings.
- Be exposed to decision-making and administrative processes and develop interpersonal skills.
- Expand their professional and social networks and develop more evident perspectives of their needs, interests, and concerns.