The Faculty of Health Sciences offers a variety of academic programs in the Health Sciences. Curricula are community-oriented and multidisciplinary, to equip graduates with the professional literacy, competencies, teamwork, and skills needed to meet challenges in the dynamic work environment of today's health sector.
Undergraduate degree programs lead to a Bachelor of Science degree within a minimum of a three-year framework. Graduate degree programs lead to a Master of Science degree or a Master of Public Health degree.
Master of Public Health (MPH)
The Faculty of Health Sciences offers a graduate program leading to a Master of Public Health (MPH) degree with emphasis on either Community Health, or Occupational and Environmental Health. The Program prepares graduates for active engagement and leadership in promoting the health of communities, eliminating social and health disparities, and achieving health-sustaining environments in Lebanon and across the Middle East.
The Program embraces the rapidly evolving nature of the field of public health, particularly the emergence of new challenges to population health brought about by the interplay of local, regional, and global determinants.
THE DEGREES WE OFFER
GRADUATE PROGRAM MISSION
The mission of the Master of Public Health (MPH) Program at the Faculty of Health Sciences (FHS) is to prepare graduates for effective engagement and leadership in promoting the health of communities, eliminating social and health disparities, and achieving health-sustaining environments in Lebanon and across the Middle East. The Program will embrace the rapidly evolving nature in the field of public health, particularly the emergence of new challenges to population health brought about by the interplay of local, regional, and global determinants.
GRADUATE PROGRAM LEARNING OBJECTIVES
The Master of Public Health will meet the following objectives to accomplish its mission:
GRADUATE PROGRAM LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Contribute to the University’s mission and vision in teaching, research, and community service with a focus on public health in Lebanon and the Middle East.
- Build the capacity of the public health workforce in Lebanon and the Middle East by providing graduates with the requisite knowledge base, practical and research skills, and leadership capabilities.
- Inspire graduates to undertake ethical public health practice and research.
- Build students’ capacity to design public health studies and interventions, and to collect, analyze, interpret, and communicate public health data to inform evidence-based practice.
- Build the research capacities of faculty members and strengthen the participation of students in research.
- Promote interdisciplinary and cross-sectoral dialogue on critical public health issues.
- Advocate for public health by expanding understandings of the role of public health workers in creating healthier communities.
Upon graduation, graduates will be able to:
- Recognize the multidisciplinary nature of public health and the contributions different disciplines make to understanding health-related issues and developing effective responses to them.
- Understand the complex interplay between individual, local, regional, and global factors in determining the health status of populations.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the theories that have governed the practice of public health and be able to relate this knowledge to the analysis of public health issues.
- Develop and expand research knowledge and skills in both qualitative and quantitative methods of inquiry to address public health research questions.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and ability to interpret and critically appraise research literature to develop evidence-based policy and program responses to public health concerns.
- Build capacity to communicate research findings to the concerned stakeholders including the scientific community, the general public, and policy and decision makers.
- Implement and monitor public health initiatives and programs, and evaluate their impact on the short and the long terms.
- Identify and analyze the underlying causes of inequity in health, and work to address them.
- Describe and explain patterns of health and disease in the Lebanese community and identify groups at high risk for disease
- Develop population-wide and targeted interventions for disease prevention and control in Lebanon and the region with specific attention to vulnerable and marginalized groups.
- Show knowledge of how regional factors have shaped the health of populations in Lebanon and the Middle East.
- Demonstrate cultural competency in designing and evaluating public health interventions.
- Use traditional and contemporary media to advocate for policy change and promote health in Lebanon and the Middle East.
- Demonstrate a good knowledge of the history, achievements and role of public health in Lebanon and the Middle East.
- Commit to ethical principles and high standards of professionalism in public health practice and research.
- Manage resources efficiently and apply them effectively to achieve the desired public health outcomes and maximize the impact of programs and strategies within an often limited resource base.
- Display competence and confidence in working with a wide range of social groups, including those who have been marginalized.
- Demonstrate teamwork and leadership skills.